Condolences flow for man who lost $35k horse in fire
GREG Brown, the owner of Theo, the dressage horse which died in a fire on McCallum St at Calliope on Tuesday, received burns to his hands while he was trying to save his animals.
Mr Brown's Facebook page was full of condolences yesterday for the loss of his warmblood dressage horse, Edenfield Santorini, valued at around $35,000.
For the captain of Calliope's auxiliary firefighters, Ian Richardson, it was the first time in 13 years he had seen a death in a fire.
His team of six was first on the scene after receiving the call at 12.30am.
When the team arrived the stable was engulfed in flames.
Capt Richardson said it was sad to see a horse die.
"We have had plenty of grass fires and structural fires out in Calliope but nothing like this," he said.
"Unfortunately fire does damage. This is the first time we have lost an animal."
In a statement on his Facebook page, Mr Brown said he was in shock and disbelief over the tragic accident.
"My stable block was engulfed in fire and sadly Theo (Edenfield Santorini) perished in the fire," he said.
"All my efforts to save him were in vain. I have burns to forehead, hand and feet. I am ok."
International show competitor David Finch, of Toowoomba, who sold Edenfield Santorini to Mr Brown, said it was "the most tragic story", Queensland Country Life reported.
"Gregory is pretty distressed as you would imagine. They were a great partnership and it is a big loss to the dressage world," Mr Finch said.
"Gregory is well known on the show circuit firstly in showjumping, and more recently concentrating on dressage."
Capt Richardson said the fire would be investigated and urged people to be careful coming into fire season.
"Fire season is upon us and, although I don't believe the dry conditions had anything to do with this fire, people do need to be careful," he said.
Police are appealing for anyone who may have witnessed anything suspicious to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.