Sex worker attacker appealing sentence wins case adjournment
A HERVEY Bay man who was sentenced to eight years jail after attacking two sex workers has taken his case to Queensland's highest court to appeal his sentence.
Last year Jason Ben Bowley pleaded guilty to three separate home invasions where he bashed two sex workers and shot a man in the shoulder.
His case was mentioned in Queensland Court of Appeal on Thursday when he asked for extra time to find another lawyer.
The court heard Bowley's case had been listed for hearing at the court of appeal early next month but that his lawyer had not filed relevant documentation by the deadline.
Court administration staff had tried to contact him but had not been successful, the court heard.
Bowley, who represented himself from the dock, said it was out of character for his lawyer, who had previously visited him in jail.
"We're actually quite worried," he told the court.
"No one has seen or heard (from) him and it's not like him to do that."
Bowley said he wanted to continue with the appeal but needed more time to find another lawyer.
"I'm just going to get another solicitor which can be arranged very soon.
"There's no issues with funds it's just unfortunate circumstances I suppose."
Queensland Court of Appeal Justice Margaret McMurdo said it was "very peculiar circumstances" and allowed Bowley to have extra time.
A hearing will now be held at the Queensland Court of Appeal on May 23 and Bowley has been given until April 26 to file his legal argument.
Bowley will be eligible for parole in December 2018.
- ARM NEWSDESK