Here's what's on in the Gladstone region this weekend
LOOKING for something to do in the Gladstone region this weekend? Here's a rundown of some of the events and activities available from April 4 to 6, 2014.
Night of games for teens
LIFESTYLE Church will hold its next Flipside event at the Lifestyle Centre, 83 Sun Valley Rd, Kin Kora, from 7-9pm.
The event will be themed Instagram Game Night and includes action-packed games and competitions for students in Year 7-12.
Entry costs $3 at the door. See the Flipside Facebook page for more information.
Sequins and Suits the theme of gala ball
THE Sequins and Suits Gladstone Variety Gala Ball is on from 6pm at the Gladstone Entertainment Centre, featuring entertainment by hypnotist Shane St James.
Tickets cost $150 and include canapes, a two-course dinner and selected beer, wine and soft drink. They can be purchased here.
Rural Fire Brigade Service Day
THE Baffle Creek Sport and Rec Grounds will be the place to be to support and celebrate the Wartburg and Miriam Vale Rural Fire Brigade from 10am-2pm.
The all-ages event will feature community markets, pony rides, face painting, bric a brac, craft, food, fruit and veg and much more.
There will also be fire education and displays by the Rural Fire Brigade. The grounds are at 580 Coast Rd, Baffle Creek.
Organic Growers Garden Club meets
THE Port Curtis Organic Growers Garden Club will have its next meeting on Saturday. All keen vegetable, herb and fruit tree gardeners are welcome to attend.
Those attending should take a coffee cup, chair and any fresh produce, seeds or homemade products to sell, swap or give away.
Contact Anna on 0439 393 765 for further details and to register.
Storytime for the kids
STORY Saturday is on at 11am at the Gladstone Library. The event is usually on the first Saturday of the month, but it has been rescheduled to this weekend.
Kids can join in stories and craft.
Big night of Latin dancing and food
WELCOMING Intercultural Neighbours will host a night of fun and dancing with its Latin Caribbean Night.
Promoted as Gladstone's biggest winter warmer event, the evening promises to provide a high standard of live entertainment and Latin American-inspired food.
The event is being held at Gladstone PCYC from 7pm. Tickets cost $40 and are available by phoning WIN on 0487 422 142 or visiting www.WIN-Australia.org.au.
Pony club mini open sports day
BOROREN Pony Club will host a mini open sports day with more than $1300 in prize money to be won.
Events including barrel racing, bend, and novelty events. There will be a canteen operating and camping is available.
Get fit with Parkrun
STOCKLAND Gladstone and Parkrun Australia faciliate a unique, community run program that provides free weekly timed 5km running events for people of all ages and abilities every Saturday morning from 7am - 8am at Lions Park.
Please register online here prior to your first run.
Ecofest puts the focus on the environment
TONDOON Botanic Gardens in Gladstone will host the 16th Annual Ecofest in celebration of World Environment Day.
The festival will have a unique hands-on and interactive focus with a range of activities.
With more than 70 environmentally-focused stalls and displays on show, including major industry, local businesses and volunteer organisations, its a great family fun day out.
Ecofest will be on from 9am to 3pm at the gardens at 700 Glenlyon Rd, Gladstone.
Highlights this year include baby wombats and the chance to win a trip to Heron Island. Guest speakers include Jerry Coleby-Williams, presenter of Gardening Australia, natural home remedy queen Shannon Lush, and climate change and resource futures expert Rod Quantock.
Meteors hosts Biggest Morning Tea
METEORS Sports Club will host a Biggest Morning Tea event to raise money for cancer.
There will be raffles, cent sales and lucky door prizes, with more than 100 prizes up for grabs.
The major prize is a $300 coffee machine from Betta Electrical, and there's also a full house carpet clean on offer.
Entry is $5 for adults, $4 for kids under 12 years and free for kids under 4.
The fun kicks off at 9.30am.
Family portrait sessions
KOOLYANGARRA Kindy is hosting advanced life photography sessions for Gladstone families.
Get family portraits done for only $20. For session availability and bookings phone Judy Larson on 0429 721 188.
Information session for local boaties
BOATIES are invited to a free information session at 2pm at the Volunteer Marine Building on Alf O'Rourke Dr, at the western end of the Gladstone marina.
A range of subjects will be discussed including local knowledge, anchoring, green zones and more.
For more information phone Jim Purcell on 4972 1676 or 0429 721 676.
Cedar Galleries Farmers Market
EVERY Sunday morning Cedar Galleries is a gathering place for families enjoying breakfast, shoppers with baskets gathering up a range of fresh produce and gourmet goodies, stallholders, kids jumping on the castle and alpacas happily handfeeding with visitors at the gate.
You can even have your tarot or angel cards read.
The market stalls and café breakfast trade runs from 8am until midday every Sunday.
Sunday session at Yachties
GLADSTONE Yacht Club will have a Sunday session in Yachties Beer Garden with live music from 2pm by soloist Tim Anderson and great drink specials.
The session runs from 2pm to 6pm.
- Yaralla Sports Club, bingo, 10am and 1pm
- Queens Hotel, dance until late with Karina and Mak
- Gladstone Bowls, bingo, 10am
- Wolves Soccer Club, bingo, 7.30pm
- Club Hotel, 888 PL Poker, registration 6.30pm for 7.30pm start
- Biloela Bowls Club, Chase Like Abbey from 7pm
- Rocky Glen Hotel, The Mangs from 8pm
- Tannum Sands Hotel, Mad Hat from 8.15pm
- Agnes Water Tavern, Velocity from 8pm
- The Grand, Nathan Bedford from 5pm
- Yaralla Sports Club, Free Poker, 7pm
- Queens Hotel, dance until late with Karina and Mak
- Grand Hotel, 888 PL Poker, registration from 1pm for 2pm start
- Tannum Sands Hotel, live music, 8.15pm
- Rocky Glen Hotel, Mad Hat from 8pm
- Tannum Sands Hotel, The Mangs from 8.15pm
- Young Aussie Hotel, JD'S Karaoke from 8pm
- Agnes Water Tavern, La Mont from 8pm
- Diggers Arms Hotel, Bustin Out
- Diceys, Nathan Beford from 8pm
- Young Aus Hotel, raffles, 11.30am
- Queens Hotel, 888 PL Poker, registration 1pm for 2pm start
- Yaralla, bingo, 1pm
- Railway Hotel, Sunday session, 2pm
- Gladstone Bowls, Wolves Soccer Club bingo, 7.30pm
- Rocky Glen Hotel, Aaron Hamilton from 2pm
- Tannum Sands Hotel, Chris Bax from 2pm
- Bad Neighbours: 9.30am, 11.55am, 4.20pm, 5pm (GR), 6.40pm, 9.15pm
- The Other Woman: 9.45am (Movie Mums $8), 2.20pm, 4.30pm, 8.40pm
- A Million Ways to Die in the West: 9.45am, 12.05pm, 2.25pm, 4.45pm, 6.50pm, 9pm (GR), 9.10pm
- X-Men: Days of Future Past: 10.15am, 12.25pm (GR), 12.50pm, 1.45pm (3D), 4pm, 6.40pm, 8.40pm
- Maleficent: 10.30am, 11.40am (3D), 12.30pm, 12.30pm (Movie Mums $8), 2.30pm, 3pm (GR), 3pm (Movie Mums), 4.30pm, 6.30pm, 7pm (GR), 7.10pm, 9.15pm
- Godzilla: 9.30am, 10am (GR), 11.55am, 1.55pm, 4.20pm (3D), 6.30pm, 9pm