Harbour fishing ban as is
FISHERIES Queensland has no plans to expand the area covered by a ban on fishing in Gladstone Harbour.
Rumours surfaced on Monday that a meeting including Fisheries Queensland had resulted in a decision to enforce a fishing ban extending 100km out from the mouth of Gladstone Harbour.
The Observer contacted both departments yesterday to verify the reports.
A spokesman from Fisheries Queensland said the department had never considered such an option.
The current fishing ban, announced on September 23, covers an area within Gladstone Harbour, including estuaries. The ban was called after fish with red-spot disease were discovered.
In other news, reports of stingrays carrying red-spot disease appear to be inaccurate. A recent news report said stingrays had been found at Emu Park and Yeppoon with red spots.
However, a Fisheries Queensland spokesman said there was no evidence that red-spot disease occurred in stingrays or sharks.