Grassfire has homes under threat
MULTIPLE Queensland Fire and Rescue Service urban crews are currently at the scene of a large grass fire burning on the Dawson Highway between Banana and Moura.
Crews are conducting backburning operations and are currently protecting multiple properties which are under threat.
The fire started around 1.35pm.
Motorists are urged to avoid the area and drive to conditions and are advised access to the Dawson Highway between Banana and Moura is cut at this time.
If residents feel their home is under threat, they should ring triple zero (000) immediately.
Residents should consider taking precautionary measures including:
• Put on protective clothing
• Drink lots of water
• Move car/s to a safe location
• Close windows and doors and shut blinds
• Bring pets inside and restrain them (leash, cage or secure room) and provide water
• Wet down fine fuels close to buildings
• Remove garden furniture, doormats and other items
• Seal all gaps under doors and screens
• Fill containers with water - eg bath, sinks, buckets, wheelie bins, etc
• Have ladders ready for roof space access (inside) and against roof (outside)
• Have generator or petrol pump ready
• Check and patrol outside for embers and extinguish any spot fires and seek shelter as the fire front arrives.