Nagoorin State School students, front, Tia French and Lily Booth; middle, Toby McLachlan, Georgia Jones, Maria-Kate French and Brant McKee; and back, Cassia McLachlan and Emmanuel Dunk jump for joy that their school will stay open.
Nagoorin State School students, front, Tia French and Lily Booth; middle, Toby McLachlan, Georgia Jones, Maria-Kate French and Brant McKee; and back, Cassia McLachlan and Emmanuel Dunk jump for joy that their school will stay open. Kerri-Anne Mesner

Future bright for Nagoorin school

A BATTLE by the community, parents and children involved with the Nagoorin State School has resulted in good news this week.

Education and Training Minister Geoff Wilson on Thursday evening announced Nagoorin State School would join 13 other schools in Queensland and remain open after a review into its future was completed.

Mr Wilson said the Nagoorin school community had ensured the outcome by responding comprehensively to consultation about its future.

“This decision has been based in part on the numerous submissions from the school community,” he said.

“These sustainability reviews are about building stronger schools and I was quite convinced that Nagoorin has a special place in its community and a dedicated, committed parent body.”

Nagoorin State School was one of 15 schools in Queensland earmarked for mothballing, meaning no additional resources or funding would be provided.

Nagoorin P and C spokesperson Craig McLachlan said it was a great outcome and the community was happy the right outcome had been achieved.

“The news means we can have our lives back and our school back,” he said.



Free birthday pizzas at Pizza Hut

Free birthday pizzas at Pizza Hut

Don't be late today and tomorrow

Retired legend wants more games brought to bush

premium_icon Retired legend wants more games brought to bush

JT backs more games in regional areas as NRL battle crowd sizes.

Local Partners