Flashback: On this day in Gladstone
1937: A wedding of considerable interest was celebrated last Saturday at St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Gladstone, when Verna, youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs W Walters, Gladstone, was married to Mr E Bartholomew, eldest son of Mr and Mrs Bartholomew, Maryborough.
Mrs HG Webb, sister of the bride, acted as matron of honour, and Miss Aileen Pender, niece of the bride, as bridesmaid.
They were frocked alike, favouring frocks of apple-green crepe sheer.
The bodices were tight fitting to the hips, with zippered side fastenings, scalloped necklines and extended armholes, and the skirts were widely flared and worn ankle length.
Picture hats of natural straw and shoes of the same shade completed their toilettes. Both carried bouquets of frangipani and yellow bells.
The bridegroom was supported by Mr D Walters as best man and Mr H Wilson as groomsman.
Little Beth Pender, niece of the bride, acted as flower girl and wore a dainty old world frock of lemon-sprigged organdie, trimmed with tiny frills.
She carried a basket of cream and lemon gerberas. Master Peter Webb, nephew of the bride, dressed in a deep cream sating suit, acted as page boy.
During the signing of the register, a violin solo was rendered by Mr H Wilson.
The reception was held at the Theatre Royal.