Father and son homeless after blaze
AN UPPER Kandanga father and son are struggling to comprehend the tragedy that took their home, pets and belongings in a fire on Monday afternoon.
Michael Edwards, 43, and his son Robert Edwards, 20, were tenants of the house on Kandanga Creek Rd for more than three years.
The pair were heartbroken to learn their dog, an arab-cross named Tom, and their manx cat, Jasper, both died in the inferno.
"That was the hardest thing," Michael Edwards said.
Mr Edwards works as a farm hand on the property behind the house, while his son is a farm hand at an Amamoor property.
Mr Edwards was at work when his phone rang, and he was told his home was going up in flames.
"There was nothing I could do. It was too late," he said.
"It's hard to comprehend."
Investigators believe an electrical fault in the lounge room started the fire.
"We lost everything," Mr Edwards said.
"All we had was the clothes we had on and the car."
"My dad passed away last year, and I lost all of his stuff as well."
The house's contents weren't insured.
The pair have returned to the property once in an attempt to salvage any belongings, but nothing survived the blaze.
"I have to work there, so I see it every time I go to work," Mr Edwards said.
"I don't look."
Father and son are now moving from house to house, staying with friends until they can find their own accommodation.
"It's very daunting that you've got nowhere to go," Mr Edwards said.
They said the community had been incredibly generous, offering clothes, food, even appliances, but what they really need is a place to call their own again.
"People want to help us, but we've got nowhere to put things and no place to go," Mr Edwards said.
"We're just trying to find a place so we can start again"
Anyone who can help the pair find a new home can call Michael on 0408 181 310.