Ute driver dies in crash
UPDATE: A 17-YEAR-OLD unlicensed driver could be held criminally responsible for the death of a 20-year-old Kepnock man, who died following a horrific single-vehicle crash in Calavos on Tuesday night.
The unregistered, blue 1990 Toyota Hilux - which also had false number plates - was carrying four people, aged between 16-20, when it crashed along Dr Mays Crossing Rd, shortly before 8pm.
Bundaberg Police Traffic Branch officer-in-charge Sergeant Marty Arnold said the rear passenger was killed on impact, while the three others received minor injuries.
"He's been ejected from the vehicle because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt," he said.
Sgt Arnold said the car then rolled on top of the young man.
"The driver indicated he wished to seek legal advice before participating in an interview with police," Sgt Arnold said.
"He would not provide police with a version of the incident."
Sgt Arnold said if the man had been wearing his seatbelt, he too could have walked away from the smash with only minor injuries.
It is believed the car had been heading towards Bundaberg, but Sgt Arnold said it was hard to say whether speed was a contributing factor.
"Certainly the speed was possibly too high for the conditions, but it is a 100km/h zone," he said.
"There is a series of s-bends which are not suitable for 100km/h."
He said a forensic examination of the car would now be carried out before the driver would be formally interviewed.
If proved to be at fault, Sgt Arnold said the teenager could be charged with the dangerous operation of a vehicle causing death, and would be treated as an adult in the eyes of the law.
WEDNESDAY: A MAN has died following a single vehicle traffic crash at Calavos last night.
Initial information suggests that a utility rolled on Doctor Mays Crossing Road just before 8pm.
A 20-year-old Kepnock man died at the scene.
Four others were transported to Bundaberg Base Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The Forensic Crash Unit is investigating.