Bundaberg family’s home lost to fire
A BUNDABERG family has been left with nothing but the clothes on their backs after a fire ripped through their home on Monday night.
Jas Biggs was woken by her five-year-old son just before 11.30pm who told her there was a fire in his bedroom at 30 Collins St.
"I ran into the room and the fire was higher than his bed," she said.
"I was completely shocked and all I could think about was getting him and my four-and-a-half-month old out of there."
Ms Biggs said by the time she reached the mailbox, flames were licking the roof of the house. Four other occupants were also in the home at the time and managed to escape the blaze.
"My partner helped my Nan and Pop out of the house. Nan cut her leg when she tried escaping and ended up going to hospital," Ms Biggs said.
The top storey of the East Bundaberg house was destroyed in the fire, with three fire trucks and 12 firefighters attending the home about 11.30pm.
Bundaberg police confirmed they were not treating the fire as suspicious as early investigations indicated the five-year-old child playing with a lighter had started the blaze.
The family has lost all of their possessions in the rental property and had no insurance. A nine-week-old bitser puppy was a casualty.
Ms Biggs said her son was unaware of the chaos going on around him.
"He is only five years old. He doesn't understand. He just keeps asking about his puppy," she said.
The family is staying at a neighbour's house while they get their affairs in order.