Explosion hurts man at North Queensland golf club
A MAN has been hurt in an explosion at Townsville Golf Club this morning. Multiple emergency crews have raced to the scene.
The explosion has been linked to methane gas.
A Queensland Fire and Emergency Services spokesman said the explosion was reported in the toilets of the golf club about 6.45am.
Three fire crews are attending a sewerage pipeline on the corner of Benson and Goldering St, about 200m away from where the explosion took place.
"Crews are investigating and making sure the scene is safe.
"There are atmospheric monitoring taking place to ensure there are safe levels."
Queensland Ambulance Service paramedics were this morning treating the patient in the toilets.
Residents nearby the club have repeatedly complained about an odour emanating from the area.
The State Government slapped the club with an Environmental Protection Order in December after investigating complaints from residents about sewage odour.
Club manager Mitch Bligh told The Bulletin in January the club was co-operating fully with the Department of Environment and Science to ensure all of its environmental obligations were met.
Mr Bligh said the club had been working closely with the Townsville City Council on a range of options to close the on-site sewage treatment plant.
Carmody St resident Tom Middleton told The Bulletin in December residents were still experiencing the odour on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
"My son came inside and said, 'It's terrible out there'," he said.