VICTIM: Charlie Hinder and his children were killed in a Mount Isa caravan explosion.
VICTIM: Charlie Hinder and his children were killed in a Mount Isa caravan explosion.

Ex-Rocky man believed to have died in explosion

THE man killed in an explosion at Mount Isa last month is believed to have grown up in Rockhampton.

Police last week formally identified the man as 38-year-old Charlie Hinder.

Mr Hinder and his two children, Nyobi, 7, and River, 4, were killed when an explosion ripped through their caravan on July 28.

While investigations into the explosion continue, police have confirmed they are treating the blast as a double murder-suicide.

A statement issued by police said investigators believed explosives were used as an ignition point for the blast, rather than the gas bottles at the scene.

Mount Isa District Officer Superintendent Russell Miller said the explosion had devastated the local community.

"This was a horrific event which has had a significant impact not only on the families, neighbours and friends of the victims but also the wider Mount Isa community," Superintendent Miller said.

The Morning Bulletin understands Mr Hinder was originally from Rockhampton and has family in the region.



CQ child safety investigations go up by 325 cases

CQ child safety investigations go up by 325 cases

Less than 40 per cent of QLD investigations commenced on time.

'Every bit helps': Still time to aid Gladstone woman's cause

'Every bit helps': Still time to aid Gladstone woman's cause

Deb Kilby isn't taking a step back when it comes to autism awareness

Local Partners