Plenty you can do to create a cosy retreat in your own home
ESCAPE the winter blues and create a cosy retreat for the home this winter.
Whether it's adding a shaggy rug to the lounge room or painting the walls in warmer tones, there's plenty you can do to alter the feel of your house.
Bunnings is an option for winterware, and Bunnings National Leisure Buyer, Ben Shanley, provides his top tips on how to keep the warmth inside as the temperature drops outdoors.
- Paint with heat: Revamp the home with colours that will add warmth to each room.
- Palettes with earthy or neutral tones such as whites, greys, or deep hues like red or orange create a warmer ambience.
- Break up the monotony with statement furniture: A new furniture piece can transform the atmosphere of any room.
- Consider dark, neutral shades for a warmer atmosphere that will still complement other features in the room, and accessorise with plant displays to bring the inside of the home to life.
- Layer up with textures: Add depth and luxury to the home by adding curtains and rugs to each room. Not only do they add warmth visually, they are also a great solution for insulation, particularly in homes with single-pane windows or wooden floors.
- Relax by a fireplace: There is nothing quite like the ambient warmth a fireplace can provide. A fireplace not only heats a room, but also adds style to a home.Bunnings offers a range of fireplaces perfect for any winter home from wood and electrical to gas heaters.
- Create a nook: Consider etching out a little alcove in an unused corner of a room for the perfect spot to curl up with your favourite novel and a mug of hot tea throughout the cooler days and nights.
- Illuminate a room: Candles add warmth and light in many areas around the home.Select candles with warm winter fragrances like cinnamon or chai, which infuse a space with homely scents.