Man jailed after drunken rampage in Gladstone

HE went on a drunken rampage through Gladstone's streets.

And after pleading guilty to six charges in Gladstone Magistrates Court, William John Tobane's scored himself a passport to the big house.

But it shouldn't take him long to settle in - he had only just been released from prison.

The crime spree started on February 28 when William John Tobane, 27, approached a 13-year-old boy at a bus stop and threatened him.

Concerned members of the public contacted police about Tobane, but when they arrived Tobane couldn't be found.

The court heard members of the public were preparing to undertake vigilante activity against Tobane.

At 5.45pm that day police were again contacted after Tobane attempted to smash his way through a window into a residence while yelling "I'm going to f*** you up".

Police went inside the house and found Tobane in an extremely drunk state.

They were later informed the hapless criminal had stood in the middle of the road and thrown a wrench into the windscreen of a moving car.

The female driver had to take evasive action as she was unable to see.

When police arrested Tobane he began to struggle. When he was placed inside the police vehicle, he pushed back with his feet against the window.

When police tried to control Tobane he threatened to spit on an officer.

Police prosecutor Mick O'Rourke said Tobane had a nine-page criminal history which included numerous public nuisance offences.

"He also has a history of assaulting and obstructing police officers.

"In fact it seems to be his modus operandi when he is arrested," Mr O'Rourke said.

"The only time the defendant stops committing offences is when he is incarcerated."

Defence solicitor Jun Pepito said his client admitted his criminal history and that he often committed offences while intoxicated.

Magistrate Penelope Hay said during sentencing that she took into account Tobane was an indigenous man.

"It's a relevant consideration because there are a high proportion of indigenous people in custody.

"In my view it is a serious thing to incarcerate an indigenous person," Ms Hay said.

Ms Hay said the fact that Tobane was drunk was no excuse for his behaviour on that day.

She sentenced Tobane to 12 months in jail with a conviction recorded.

A parole release date was set for December 12.

VIDEO: CCTV of armed robbery released

premium_icon VIDEO: CCTV of armed robbery released

Police have released CCTV showing an armed robbery at a CQ Foodworks

‘I didn’t feel it’: Woman blows shockingly high result in RBT

premium_icon ‘I didn’t feel it’: Woman blows shockingly high result in...

A GLADSTONE woman said she didn’t feel the effects of the alcohol she had consumed...

Police seek public’s assistance to identify man

premium_icon Police seek public’s assistance to identify man

Tannum Sands Police are seeking assistance to identify a man who is believed to...