NEWS that the man convicted of killing Sunshine Coast teenager Daniel Morcombe has been granted an appeal has come as no surprise to the teenager's parents.
Brett Peter Cowan's appeal was announced yesterday, the day before today's annual Day for Daniel and child safety awareness walk, but Bruce and Denise Morcombe were prepared for it.
Mr Morcombe said he and his wife had already "blacked out" the date in their diaries.
"We actually knew about the looming date for more than a month," he said.
"It didn't come as a surprise. It was something we expected.
"It was always going to happen. It's his right."
Cowan was sentenced to a minimum of 20 years in jail after being convicted earlier this year of the murder of 13-year-old Daniel in 2003.
Cowan's legal team hopes a precedent set in Canada over the use of "Mr Big" crime gang undercover operatives to gain a confession may see the murder conviction overturned.
Cowan's video-taped confession was a key part of the prosecution case against him.
His lawyer Tim Meehan told 9 News that a retrial would change his client's life "incredibly" and he was keen for the appeal to be heard.
"Really the centrepoint of the whole argument is the admissions that Brett made to the undercover officers should never have seen the light of day.
"They should never have been played to the jury."
Cowan's confession was recorded in an elaborate undercover police sting in which detectives posed as a group of criminals.
Mr Morcombe said he and his wife were "comfortable" with the appeal which is set down for November 26 and 27.