Three men to face trial over Timothy Pullen murder
THE men accused of murdering Mackay man Timothy John Pullen in 2012 will next month face a trial expected to last two to three weeks.
In the Supreme Court in Mackay this morning, Justice James Henry set the trial of accused murderers Zane Tray Lincoln, Benjamin Francis Graeme Oakley and Stephen Dale Renwick to start on May 31.
Luke Shayne Kister, who is accused of accessory after the fact to murder, will also face trial.
Police will allege Mr Pullen, 34, was murdered in his North Mackay unit on April 16, 2012.
Lawyer for Lincoln, Adam Guest, said he had a problem with availability on May 31, and asked that the trial take place in June or July. He said he expected the trial to take two to three weeks.
"It couldn't be a surprise to anyone that there'd have to be a better reason than availability of counsel (to change the date)," Justice Henry said.
Kister, who is on bail, appeared in person at yesterday's mention.
A lawyer speaking for Kister said the man's Legal Aid application had been rejected and was in the process of being appealed.
He said he was confident Kister would receive aid by the trial date.
Oakley's lawyer, Renee Williams, said the only issue she had with the date was the unavailability of one witness.
Justice Henry said that, given the number of defendants involved, it would be difficult to "arrange for a perfect alignment of the stars, for all to be available at the same time".
He said it wasn't viable to extend the following Supreme Court sittings to accommodate the trial.
Justice Henry listed the matter for mention on May 30, for any pre-trial issues to be resolved before the trial's commencement the following day.
Kister's bail was enlarged.
In a pre-trial hearing held later this morning, Renwick's defence barrister argued for some evidence to be excluded from the trial.
However, Justice Henry asked the Crown prosecutor to provide more information about the matter this week.
- Murder: Zane Tray Lincoln, 37, Mooloolah Valley.
- Murder: Benjamin Francis Graeme Oakley, 28, Dysart.
- Murder and accessory after the fact: Stephen Dale Renwick, 40, Lowood.
- Accessory after the fact to murder: Luke Shayne Kister, 25, Mount Pleasant.
Four years since Timothy Pullen's disappearance
- April 16, 2012: Timothy Pullen, 34, is allegedly murdered in his North Mackay unit.
- July 19, 2013: Zane Tray Lincoln is charged with Mr Pullen's murder.
- July 23, 2013: Police charge Stephen Dale Renwick with accessory after the fact to murder.
- July 24, 2013: Police arrest Luke Shayne Kister and allege he and Renwick disposed of Mr Pullen's body after his death.
- July 25, 2013: Renwick, Kister granted bail.
- August, 2013: Keira Jeanette McKay is arrested in Darwin for the manslaughter of Pullen and extradited to Mackay. Her former partner Nicholas Voorwinden is also charged with manslaughter.
- March 2, 2015: McKay and Voorwinden plead guilty to manslaughter and are jailed for five years. Voorwinden will be released after serving 15 months and McKay nine months.
- March 3, 2015: Renwick and Benjamin Francis Graeme Oakley are charged with Mr Pullen's murder.
- March 16, 2015: Renwick is granted bail after his mother posted a $175,000 surety.
- May 31, 2016: The trial of Renwick, Oakley, Lincoln and Kister is expected to begin in Supreme Court. Mr Pullen's body has never been recovered.