Court hears dad made kill threat

A MAN accused of threatening to kill a Department of Child Safety (DOCS) worker has been granted bail.

Gladstone Magistrates Court heard the man, who can not be identified under child protection laws, threatened the staff member verbally over the phone after his weekly access visits with his children were scaled back to once every three weeks.

Police Prosecutor Constable Troy Daubaras opposed the bail application, telling Magistrate Damian Carroll the threat went a step further than just a verbal threat.

“It was more than just a heat of the moment gesture,” Const Daubaras said.

The police prosecutor said the man had almost $2500 in cash he claimed was to hire a hit man to kill the government employee.

Const Daubaras said the man showed his mother the money and told her the plan.

The mother, concerned about her son, then notified the police.

“He is an unacceptable risk,” Const Daubaras said.

“He made the threats to two separate people.

“It seems as though this person was placed in a position where he was ready to snap. I submit he should not be let out.”

However, duty lawyer Paul Wonnocot told the court the man had recently been retrenched from his job and had planned to spend the money on Christmas presents for his children and to repair his car.

He said he told his mother the money was to be used to pay a hit man in a misguided attempt to persuade her to talk to DOCS so he could see his children.

He said his client had already spent almost a week in jail and had time to settle down.

Mr Wonnocot submitted the man be released on very strict bail conditions.

Mr Carroll agreed, ordering the man could be released on bail if he posted a $5000 surety that he would appear at his next court date. He was also required to attend reside at a predetermined address, have no contact with DOCS, report to the police daily and be subjected to random urine analysis testing.

He was also not permitted to enter the DOCS office in Goondoon Street. The man will reappear in Gladstone Magistrates Court on February 26 next year.



Man's $650 speeding fine appeal rejected by Qld court

premium_icon Man's $650 speeding fine appeal rejected by Qld court

He was convicted in Gladstone Magistrates Court in May, 2018.