Come celebrate library's 10th anniversary with activities
RESIDENTS are the big winners of Gladstone City Library's 10th birthday celebrations, with a week of activities on offer that culminates in a Mega Book Sale.
The Mega Book Sale will be run by Friends of the Library and starts at 9am and runs to 4pm on Saturday and continues on Sunday between 9am and 3pm.
People who attend on Sunday will also be able to enjoy a complimentary sausage sizzle, courtesy of Friends of the Library.
Gladstone Regional Council's arts and culture portfolio spokesperson Ren Lanzon said the birthday was a significant milestone for Gladstone City Library and the council invited residents to celebrate.
He said the week of activities began last Saturday with Story Saturday, when librarian Betttina Nissen read stories to children.
"The popularity of this activity has led to it becoming a monthly fixture at the library until the end of the year," Cr Lanzon said.
He said another popular event occurring this week has been a memory tree located in the front of the library, where people are writing their memories of 10 years ago, adding that cake, coffee and tea would be available for library patrons each day during the week.
- Construction of Gladstone City Library at 39 Goondoon Street was completed in September 2003.
- The new library building replaced one at 142 Goondoon Street that had become too small to house the growing number of library resources.
- The library has evolved into one that rivals any other in regional Queensland.
- Free Wi-Fi is available at all Gladstone Regional Libraries.
- Residents can access audio books, ebooks, magazines and international short movies online.
- The library catalogue is also available online and residents can look up books, reserve them and renew items without leaving home.