Torture charges ‘too serious’ to grant bail: police

A MAN accused of torturing his stepson with a cattle prod has been denied bail after strong objections were presented to the magistrate.

In the Warwick Magistrates Court yesterday morning, police prosecutor Steve de Lissa said there was a "very strong case" against the 55-year-old, who is accused of torturing and bashing the boy.

"The main objection of the police is the seriousness of the offences, the strength of the Crown case and the injuries sustained by the (alleged) victim," Sergeant de Lissa said.

"There is concern about him tracking down and committing further acts of violence against the (alleged) victim."

It is alleged the Southern Downs man left the boy with broken bones, swelling, cuts and bruises, and marks that were consistent with being shocked with an electric cattle prod.

Earlier this week the man was charged with torture and assault.

The bail application followed two fresh charges being brought against the man, including interfering with a witness and a charge in relation to a firearm and ammunition found in his ute.

According to an investigating officer on the case, the man allegedly called his landlord from the watchhouse and asked him to remove an item from his ute. Sgt de Lissa told the court the bail application was based around the man's desire to tend to a number of animals on his property.

Magistrate Bevan Manthey said the animals were the least of his problems.

"I have real concerns of him causing more harm - there's a real fear of this bloke from his (alleged) victims," he said. "The charges are serious and they involve a young boy here."

"There's a risk of endangering the security of the child involved here and interfering with witnesses."

The magistrate ordered the man be kept behind bars until his next court appearance on March 16.



Calliope man Ben Wriede wins Botanic to Bridge by 18 seconds

Calliope man Ben Wriede wins Botanic to Bridge by 18 seconds

Open Male and Female 8km winners cross the line with time to spare.

PAY FREEZE: Council's second offer after workers reject plan

PAY FREEZE: Council's second offer after workers reject plan

Council has been challenged to address years of wage freezes

Local Partners