Emergency service attended a small kitchen fire at a house on Goondoon Street which was extinguished before they arrived.
Emergency service attended a small kitchen fire at a house on Goondoon Street which was extinguished before they arrived. Paul Braven

Cooking chaos as elderly woman's kitchen catches on fire

AN ELDERY lady's Saturday afternoon cooking has been thrown into chaos after a fire broke out in the kitchen of her Goondoon St home.   

The woman's stove caught alight after she left a pot on it.  

But the quick-thinking lady, visibly embarrassed as two firefighter units pulled up outside her home, had already managed to contain the fire on her own.

"The occupants had a pot on the stove, went out for a walk and came back and noticed smoke in the house," senior firefighter Dale Iwanicki.

"(She's) put a fire blanket or tea towel over the pot and it's extinguished the fire."

KITCHEN FIRE: A fore has broken out at a Goondoon St property.
KITCHEN FIRE: A fore has broken out at a Goondoon St property.

Despite one ambulance unit also attending the fire, it is understood no one was hurt, with the lady's neighbours saying they were glad she escaped unscathed.

Police were also on scene to assist. 

But Mr Iwanicki said all it would take is "a matter of minutes" for things to turn ugly.

"If they were out for another minute or two, could have possibly lost the kitchen or the house," Mr Iwanicki said.  

"She's really lucky.

"She did the right thing, put the tea towel over it, smothered it."



FIGHTIN' WORDS: Mayor Matt says Butch 'must be worried'

FIGHTIN' WORDS: Mayor Matt says Butch 'must be worried'

Who are you backing in tomorrow night's charity bout?

TWIN TELLS ALL: How Mayor Matt can take down Butch

TWIN TELLS ALL: How Mayor Matt can take down Butch

'Matt could win if he throws a few real low ones into his knees.'

If you've got a cheap head buy a cheap helmet

premium_icon If you've got a cheap head buy a cheap helmet

I've been thinking of upgrading my old brain protector.

Local Partners