Central region drivers well behaved as police blitz starts
MORE than 4000 traffic offences were detected in the first week of a statewide traffic operation targeting drivers ignoring The Fatal Four ahead of the busy holiday period, but only 19 of those were detected in the Central region.
Operation Q-Blitz started across Queensland on November 1, aiming to reduce the number of traffic crashes on the state's roads and send a strong message to drivers ahead of the Christmas period.
In the first week, a total of 3024 speeding offences, 88 drink driving offences, 7 drug driving offences, 84 seat belt offences and 75 heavy vehicle fatigue offences were detected.
A total of 147 drivers were issued with a fine for using their mobile phone while driving and 1019 other traffic infringement notices were issued across Queensland.
In the Central region, there were only 19 total offences - the lowest figure for all regions - including two heavy vehicle fatigue offences and two drink drivers.
A total of 346 random breath tests were conducted in the region.
Police are urging drivers to consider The Fatal Four contributing factors of road trauma (speeding, drink driving, not wearing a seatbelt and fatigue) before getting behind the wheel of their vehicle.
Deputy Commissioner Specialist Operations Ross Barnett said 241 lives had already been lost on Queensland roads this year, 21 more than the same time last year.
"Before we even start our Christmas road safety campaign, we want to send a strong message to drivers that we will be anywhere anytime targeting drivers ignoring our warnings in the lead up to the holiday period," Deputy Commissioner Barnett said.
"In the first week of Operation Q-Blitz we have seen far too many drivers speeding and drink driving on our roads and we are urging drivers to consider the consequences of their actions.
"As we move into the busiest period of the year on our roads, officers will be doing everything they can to target drivers ignoring the Fatal Four."
Operation Q-Blitz, which was the first police operation named by social media followers, will continue across the state until November 30.