Young love triumphs over tragedy
AFTER the doctor delivered the news that his girlfriend had just months to live, Brad Kruger (right) made an important call.
"I rang her dad and asked him if I could propose.
"He said, 'Do it and make her happy'."
So the 20-year-old did just that, proposing to Keeana Demidov, 19, with a plastic ring she'd won from a leftover Christmas bon-bon.
It has since been replaced with an elegant 18-carat white gold sparkler with diamonds.
Keeana was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma aged just 16.
She has since undergone rounds of chemotherapy and radiation therapy that literally "burns you from the inside".
And now the specialists have run out of treatments to offer her.
But Keeana and Brad aren't giving up and are turning to natural therapies.
For now they are focused on getting married.
The date's been set: March 27, exactly seven years since they first started dating.
Keeana and Brad met in Year 8 at State High.
"We (don't) leave each other's sides," Keeana said.
When asked how she felt about her prognosis, Keeana was more worried for her loves ones.
"Really scared, I suppose. But I'm worried for Brad and my father, especially."
The thought of losing Keeana has Brad "petrified".
"I can't see how I'd cope..."
- The first sign of Hodgkin's lymphoma is often a swollen lymph node, which appears without a known cause.
- The disease can spread to nearby lymph nodes.
- Later it may spread to the spleen, liver, bone marrow or other organs.
- Hodgkin's is considered one of the most curable forms of cancer, especially if it is diagnosed and treated early.
- Unlike other cancers, Hodgkin's disease is often very curable even in late stages.
- If you want to help Keeana and Brad in any way, please contact email@example.com.
- Show your support by liking Keeana's Fight Against Cancer Facebook page.