ONE of the oldest buildings still standing in Gladstone marks its 110th anniversary this year.
Work on the Port Curtis Co-operative Dairy Association building started at Barney Point in 1904, before it began operations in 1906.
At the time, the combined population of the Gladstone and Calliope districts was just over 3000 people, and the necessity for speedy delivery to consumers was readily apparent.
The co-operative, often referred to as either the PCD or the Butter Factory, served many purposes, among them buying whole milk from local dairy farmers and distributing the product to the community.
After years of clearing scrub to acquire adequat grazing land, dairy farming had cemented its place as a substantial economic contributor for the region.
Delivery of milk in Gladstone was often difficult and a heavy reliance upon the nearby railway proved an advantage under these circumstances.