Businesses show community spirit at harbour festival
I WAS excited to be part of the Gladstone Harbour Festival Parade this year, with the Gladstone Chamber of Commerce and Industry Buy Local float.
Once again the parade thrilled spectators with colour, noise and, of course, lollies.
The event highlighted the contributions of local business in creating a vibrant community.
With very little time to prepare, local business owners created vibrant floats and summoned excitable volunteers to entertain onlookers.
Lots of people spoke of feeling a "real sense of community".
This is what it's all about: local business being part of the community and the community appreciating and acknowledging this through supporting local business.
So community, it's up to us to "be local, buy local".
- Contribute to buying local this week by:
- Looking local before shopping out of town or online;
- Giving local business your feedback (good or bad);
- Letting local businesses know what you need (create consumer demand);
- Encouraging friends and family to buy local - it's THAT important;
- Joining the Buy Local campaign.
Let's give back to the businesses that support us, be it with local employment, investment in the Gladstone region or just by making events such as the harbour festival so great.