Brush with death in own home prompts safety rethink
I AM seriously considering the value of baby-proofing my house.
It's not because I live with a baby, and it is certainly too soon for me to consider having one.
In fact, my father once told me it wasn't safe for me to have a child.
I guess he will be depending on his three sons to deliver on that front.
Baby-proofing is a two-way street.
It's not only to protect the young and the reckless from the house, but from themselves too.
I've had my life flash before my eyes no less than three times this week.
The first was in the bath.
We have a beautiful old claw-foot bath with a shower head that sits tall and proud in our bathroom.
But it's a little too tall if you lose your grip as there's nothing but plenty of ceramic to break your fall.
As I clamoured for something to grab onto, I immediately thought of all the elements that would make my bathroom safer: handle grip here, bath mat there, waterproof sticky stuff to put on the bottom. Check, check, check.
Next day was a close call with the stairs.
As I was contemplating another fall, down 12 stairs this time, the appeal of a chairlift looked better than ever before.
Gates at the top of the stairs are a brilliant idea.
My most serious brush with death this week came in the form of fairy lights only a day after the stair incident.
I now like to call them goblin lights.
I was given an electric shock so bad that it burnt two holes into my finger.
White flashed before my eyes and I was jolted backwards into a nearby chair.
It was 240 volts, or so I've been informed.
Admittedly, I have been a sook about it.
But a finger to a journalist is a voice to a singer, or legs to a catwalk model.
I wasn't sure how to tackle the goblin lights to make them safer, and I'm open to ideas.
As a rule, I'm just staying the hell away from them from now on.
Perhaps "Made in China" and sold over eBay isn't always a positive when it comes to electronics.
Baby-proofing - it's not just for babies.