Menu
News

Glen Eden shed catches fire

HAZARD: Firefighters urge the public to keep barbecues clean.
HAZARD: Firefighters urge the public to keep barbecues clean.

FIREFIGHTERS have issued a warning to the public after a barbecue caught fire in a shed this afternoon.

About 4.30pm, Gladstone firefighters responded to reports of a shed blaze at Jumbuck Court, Glen Eden, where they found smoke pouring out from a shed.

"The house owner and neighbour had attempted to attack the fire with a hose and an extinguisher," Gladstone Fire Station Officer Graham Smith said.

"They did a really good job of containing the fire without putting themselves in (danger)."

When fireys wearing breathing apparatuses arrived, they entered the shed and extinguished the flames.

The source of the fire was a Weber barbecue. Upon investigation, firefighters determined the Weber's gas valve had been switched off.

"We ruled out (a problem with) the ignition," Mr Smith said, adding the barbecue had last been used a couple of days before.

"I'm of the belief there was some residue, still some burning material smouldering, possibly in the tray that catches the fat," he said.

"It finally got going with this hot weather and the rest of the barbecue caught fire."

Station officer Smith warned people to make sure they cleaned their barbecues in this hot weather regularly and ensured there was not a build-up of fats and residue. 

The shed was insured and only partially damaged by the fire.

This is a developing story. Updates to follow.

Topics:  barbecue fire and emergency service safety warning



Appeal over CQ miner's 'repugnant' dog sex act dismissed

Darren Lee Jolley performed sexualised acts with a puppy.

Blackwater man 'violated long-standing taboo'

Looking to get away? Win $1000 for your dream trip

How does a $1000 gift card from Flight Centre sound?

Agnes surfers' taste of swell today short-lived

Amelia McKay enjoying a surf at Agnes Water.

The swell finally arrived, but it won't be here for long.

Local Partners