WATCH: 'Methane gas threat' from rubbish tip fire

THE BLAZE at Benaraby's rubbish tip was "well underway" when fire crews arrived, according to Boyne Island fire brigade captain Greg Chandler, who was first on the scene.

Two urban fire units and four rural fire crews worked to extinguish the fire, despite the danger of "methane gases".

"When we first arrived it was well under way," he said.

"We made some plans and hosed it down straight away.

"Landfill threats are mostly methane gases produced by all the rubbish."

He said council workers were called in to assist in removing the burning rubbish, or else it would have continued to burn deeper.

He said fire crews would now hose down the rubbish.

UPDATE: 9.57pm:

INITIAL reports are that a fire, which is believed to be out of control at Benaraby on Jono Porter Dr, spread from a landfill fire.

TIP FIRE: Firefighters are battling a fire at a tip.
TIP FIRE: Firefighters are battling a fire at a tip.

But firefighters are still rushing the scene, with the current information coming from the 000 caller. 

It's not yet known if homes or other structures are threatened by the fire.

More to come

EARLIER: 

FIREFIGHTERS are en route to a fire at Benaraby at 114 Jono Porter Dr.

FIRE: Benaraby's rubbish tip has caught alight.
FIRE: Benaraby's rubbish tip has caught alight.

Fire fighters were called to the scene at 9.14pm, but there's not yet any vehicle on scene.

CAUGHT ALIGHT: Initial reports are that fire has spread from a landfill fire.
CAUGHT ALIGHT: Initial reports are that fire has spread from a landfill fire.

We expect an update from Queensland Fire and Emergency Services shortly.

More to come



Flynn travel agents could share in $130M  cash splash

Premium Content Flynn travel agents could share in $130M cash splash

“We can all support our local travel agents in Flynn by using their services when...

Paramedics assess patient with fish hook in arm

Premium Content Paramedics assess patient with fish hook in arm

Paramedics were called to Agnes Water after reports a man had a fish hook in his...