Valley’s mobile hopes up with feasibility study in motion

RESIDENTS of Boyne Valley are a step closer to having mobile phone coverage with a feasibility study into a new communications tower about to begin in coming weeks.

The region has suffered from limited coverage for more than a year because the communication towers were damaged during the floods of January last year.

President of the Calliope Rodeo Association William Wilson signed the forms on Monday that will set the feasibility study in motion.

He said with the study in place, the community would be ready for when the Federal Government put $100 million towards rural communications.

"We'll have the study in place to say how much it is going to cost, what we need and when it can happen," he said.

The study, which will cost $20,000 and take a month to complete, is being funded by money which was raised through the Bulls and Bands Flood Appeal held in March 2013.

Altogether the appeal raised $80,000, part of which will go towards the cost of the tower, should it go ahead.



Healthy Harbour report: Are we getting the whole story?

Healthy Harbour report: Are we getting the whole story?

The Healthy Harbour report is flawed, says engineer.

Welcome to The Observer's new-look website

Welcome to The Observer's new-look website

You will notice a cleaner, more modern look here at The Observer.

NEXT STAGE: Plans released for Tannum's new community asset

NEXT STAGE: Plans released for Tannum's new community asset

The facility will be donated to council by BTABC and Boyne Smelters.

Local Partners