WATCH: Annual raft race heartily contested
EIGHT rafts participated in this year's Gladstone Harbour Festival Great NRG Raft Race.
It was Boyne Smelters' Vikings that took out the winning title, combining their manpower with a carefully engineered vessel.
BSL Captain Shane Lougoon said they'd slapped their raft together in just a week and were surprised with the win.
"It was just awesome," he said.
"Everyone pulled their weight and our strokes were like the rhythm of a drum."
Hundreds of locals got in early and lined the bridge, East Shores and Auckland Point look out to watch the teams battle against flour bombs, fire hydrants, water pistols and each other.
The Sea Scouts' raft unfortunately didn't make it back in one piece but everyone was in high spirits.
The winners include:
- Pride of the NRG ($1,500) - WALZ
- 2nd Best Creative Raft ($1,000) - Boyne Smelters Ltd
- 3rd Best Creative Raft ($750) - EVO Portables
- Best Backyard (privateer) Raft ($500) - Clinton State School
- Best Dressed Team ($500) - Clinton State School
- Most Entertaining Team ($500) - NRG
- Best Juvenile Entry ($500) - Dolphin Sea Scouts
- Endurance Award ($400) - The Observer
- Titanic Award ($400) - Dolphin Sea Scouts
- Perpetual Trophy (overall best) - WALZ
- Line Honours ($50) - Boyne Smelters Ltd
- Media Trophy - The Observer