Boys suffers burns after YouTube fail

TOOWOOMBA police are calling on young people in particular to be responsible and not copy foolish acts they might view on YouTube after a 16-year-old boy ignited flammable liquid and burnt himself at the weekend.

Detective Sergeant Brent Parker, of the Toowoomba Child Protection Investigation Unit, said it appeared the teenager had been trying to emulate something he had seen on YouTube, using kerosene at his family's Gowrie Junction property about 2.30pm Saturday.

Initial reports claimed the boy was trying to make a home-made explosive but police are not quite sure what he was trying to achieve.

"He tried to make something with kerosene, which he spilt on his clothing and, using a lighter, caught fire," Det Sgt Parker said.

"He had viewed something on YouTube and had tried to copy it using kerosene.

"He sustained superficial burns to his face, neck and right hand, and was taken to Toowoomba Hospital.

"We would just ask that people be responsible and not copy such things they see on YouTube, particularly anything involving flammable liquids like kerosene."

Fortunately, the boy's injuries were not considered overly serious, according to police.



Noise complaint leads to unexpected drug charges

Premium Content Noise complaint leads to unexpected drug charges

When police arrived at a Gladstone home in response to a complaint about loud...

First generator switched back on after explosion

Premium Content First generator switched back on after explosion

CS Energy forecasts the Unit B2 will be running by June 20, and Unit C3 by July...

Boost for program that’s helped 570 residents find work

Premium Content Boost for program that’s helped 570 residents find work

The Palaszczuk Government has allocated $460 million in a big boost for job skills...