‘Good Samaritan’ left beaten by teenagers
AN alleged attack on a good Samaritan at Labrador has police warning residents to consider their own safety, before trying to help.
It was about 11pm on Saturday night when a 25-year-old man was allegedly lured from his car, by a teenager claiming to be in distress.
When the man stepped from his car, parked on Jacob Drv near Dodgers Park, a group of teens allegedly set upon him, assaulting and robbing him.
Acting Senior Sergeant Kayleen James said the robbery was concerning.
"I think when someone asks for help, generally people do act, it is in our nature as humans to respond," she said.
"What is concerning, is to see that good will used as a tactic."
Sgt James said individuals needed to consider their own safety before assisting, especially when travelling alone.
"We encourage people to consider their surroundings and put their personal safety in the front of their mind, when alone in situations like these," she said.
The man's shoes, jumper, cap and mobile phone were taken from the front seat of his car during the alleged robbery.
Witnesses say two girls, who found the man, called police from a nearby Hungry Jacks.
A police search involving POLAIR and the dog squad located the group of boys in nearby bushland.
It's not the first time an incident of this kind has occurred in the area, the Queensland Police crime map reveals there have been five assaults in the Jacob Drv area in the past month.
Hungry Jacks employee Liam Salmon, 17, said he was approached by a group of teens in the same area just hours prior.
"I was sitting on the front of my brother's car, waiting for someone to finish their shift, when a group of three came up to me," he said.
"They were yelling and asked if I wanted to 'ark up' ... and then they kept walking."
Labrador resident, Dulcie White, said she would be thinking twice when it came to her safety.
"I can't believe it ... I always walk outside, when I see my security light go on, but I won't be doing that anymore," she said.
"I was woken by the police helicopter and sat awake wondering what was going on.
"I always help, but you don't know what is happening with these young people, I have a great grandson and I wonder what is in front of him."
Cos Zantiotis, the president of the Labrador Touch Association, who use the park weekly said the attack was disturbing.
"Nothing happens when the games are on and people are here, this is hopefully a one off incident," he said.
Mr Zantiotis said bushland near the park had been cleared in recent years, due to safety concerns.
"We will be taking advice from council and police about what can be done," he said.
A 17-year-old Labrador boy was charged with one count each of robbery and obstruct police, a 16-year-old Biggera Waters boy was charged with two counts of obstruct police and one count each of robbery and possession of utensils, another 16-year-old Biggera Waters boy was charged with one count each of robbery and obstruct police, and a 16-year-old Arundel boy was charged with one count each of robbery and obstruct police.
All four are scheduled to appear in the Southport Magistrates Court tomorrow.