Birthday party turns sour at hospital

A BIRTHDAY party got ugly after a guest was whacked on the head with a cricket bat and had to be taken to Gladstone Hospital.

However things got worse when the injured man's intoxicated brother Andrew Wayne Sinclair also turned up at the emergency department.

Sinclair harassed the nurse tending his brother who was apparently being noisy, and lapsing in and out of consciousness.

Sinclair, 24, pleaded guilty in Gladstone Magistrates Court to serious assault of the nurse while adversely affected by an intoxicating substance at 2am on May 17, causing a public nuisance (in hours before at 10pm), and obstructing a police officer.

Prosecutor Sgt Merrilyn Hoskins said police were called to a Gladstone house at 10pm on May 16 and saw men in the street with ripped shirts.

She said Sinclair was yelling out "I'm going to f....g kill you" and threatened to burn the house down.

Neighbours told police he became involved in a fight after his brother was injured.

Put in a police van Sinclair began head-butting the glass window but was later released from police custody and taken to hospital.

Sgt Hoskins said Sinclair's brother was there being treated for head injuries by an advanced care paramedic.

When the nurse told his brother to be quiet because he was being loud Sinclair became very aggressive, clenched his fists and raised his arm.

However, the male nurse was able to stop the assault but Sinclair continued to threaten him before the nurse was able to lock him out of the room.

Sinclair later told police he was "a very angry person" and now takes medication.

"If the paramedic had not been fit and able to deflect him away it may have ended very differently," Sgt Hoskins said.

Defence lawyer Jun Pepito said Sinclair's brother was hit on the head by the cricket bat which upset him.

Magistrate Penelope Hay said she had considered jail because of his behaviour toward the advance care paramedic.

"They must be able to go about their work without threats of violence," she said.

She ordered that he complete 80 hours of unpaid community service work and released him on supervised Probation for 12 months.

He must attend counselling and have urine testing.

Man survives deadly stonefish sting

Man survives deadly stonefish sting

The 50-year-old's blood pressure hit a terrifying 198 over 116.

UPDATED: Toolooa State High teen in stable condition

UPDATED: Toolooa State High teen in stable condition

Toolooa State High has released a statement.

US trade mission discusses pilot plant for Gladstone

US trade mission discusses pilot plant for Gladstone

Talks in US to bring pilot plant to city.

Local Partners