Barnett re-signed as Comets coach
THE CQ Comets have made their first official signing of the 2011 season with Wayne Barnett being retained as the first team coach.
The Comets’ board met on Friday night to discuss the position of senior coach for next season with executive officer Scott Minto confirming there were two offers on the table, one bearing the name of Barnett.
However, after discussion the board has given Barnett the nod to continue.
There had been a number of names linked with the coaching position with Barnett’s tenure under threat due to the poor placing of the team in the Intrust Super Cup in 2010.
Expectations had been high for the season, with the Comets roster looking to be stronger than in 2009 when the team had finished one win outside of a grand final place.
The team even started the season in style, opening with good wins and looking every bit one of the teams in the competition to be in contention for the finals once more.
It was not to be, as a crippling injury count took its toll on the side, with players such as Dallas Williams, Chris Beasley, Junior Auru, Darren Mapp and Gerard Parle all spending more time on the sideline than they did on the pitch.
Barnett said it was premature to suggest which players would be retained for 2011 but if Alan Rothery did make the Comets list he would not play until the season was more than a quarter over as he received an 11-week suspension for his last transgression.
The coach said he would be concentrating on signing players over the next couple of months.
“The first major issue has to be getting the boys signed for 2011,” he confirmed.
The CQ Comets play South Logan on Saturday night at Marley Brown Oval. This will be preceded by three under-18s games between local clubs, making for quality curtain-raisers.