Striking workers ordered back to island
THE Fair Work Commission on Sunday ordered workers not covered by protected industrial action laws back to work as the CFMEU strike moves into its fifth day.
Workers are gearing up to vote on a third amendment to their job agreement, which Bechtel claims is offering what those striking are asking for.
But the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union said the new agreement meant the 3/1 roster would be brought in when the majority of the work was done, saying the Curtis Island projects were the only ones in Queensland where workers were on a 4/1 roster.
CFMEU members continued to strike at both the Port Central and Fishermans wharf terminals over the weekend, gauging support of those driving by with the addition of a large illuminated sign as background to their calls of "Vote no" and "family friendly rosters".
Bechtel Gladstone general manager Kevin Berg said while the action had caused disruptions across the projects, they had so far, been able to keep the rest of the employees working.
He hoped all employees would return to work today.
"We believe our proposed agreement is a good one for our employees and there are many benefits for them, which includes the future introduction of a 3/1 roster," he said in a statement yesterday.
CFMEU assistant state secretary Jade Ingham, on-site at Port Central supporting members, said workers were finally getting a chance to have their say.
"I think Bechtel know we're serious about a decent lifestyle and a good work/life balance," he said.
"Clearly the agreement has to be voted down this week for the chance of workers to change their conditions."