GREAT MATE: Kate Hoyles and her four-year-old fur baby Rhythm are cherishing every moment together, after strychnine baiting almost claimed Rhythm’s life on November 9.
GREAT MATE: Kate Hoyles and her four-year-old fur baby Rhythm are cherishing every moment together, after strychnine baiting almost claimed Rhythm’s life on November 9. Andrew Morgan

Dog has close call after eating poisoned bait

KATE Hoyles walks with a larger-than-life Rhythm by her side every day.

The German pointer cross great dane was almost taken from her years too soon after she ingested what was believed to be strychnine in November.

>> Gladstone pets in danger with snake bites on the rise

"She is a beautiful, gentle giant," she said. "Realising that I may have lost her was a horrible, horrible thought."

The pair had ventured out as they love to do on Ms Hoyles' birthday, to the Old Bridge in Nagoorin.

 

 

It was a fateful decision that almost cost them the four-legged family member.

As Ms Hoyles awaited news, she turned to the computer for answers.

"I was shocked to read that other dogs had been poisoned in the same area," she said.

"I want to know why Gladstone Regional Council have not been out there to inspect the area and ensure it is safe for the public."

The council reiterated that no baits had been issued to landholders in the Old Bridge area in Nagoorin recently.

A statement issued on behalf of the council claimed landholders who partook in the program were responsible for following legislative requirements.

Furthermore, that dog owners were responsible for their animals at all times.

In response, Ms Hoyles noted that with the popularity of the swimming hole, it was only a matter of time before animals were not the only victims.

"God forbid something was to happen to a human," she said. "Who would be responsible then?"

Following intense veterinary care that lasted two days, Rhythm was finally permitted to go home.

Veterinary surgeon Dr Danielle Dunn, who cared for Rhythm during the tense period, said it was purely because of her size that she had survived.

"Rhythm's size was definitely in her favour. If she had been any smaller I'm sure she would've died," she said.

"I would appeal to the council and farmers to ensure clear signage is displayed in areas of baiting. It is their responsibility."

Dr Dunn wished to issue careful advice to dog owners.

"If taking your dog out to the bush, keep them on a leash. It protects from snakebites, ticks and baits," she said.

"If you think your dog has swallowed a bait, seek veterinary care immediately."



Man dragged woman and girl into fire, police allege

premium_icon Man dragged woman and girl into fire, police allege

Torture, attempted murder charges laid after 'horror movie' trip

GALLERY: The Young Endeavour sails into Gladstone Marina

premium_icon GALLERY: The Young Endeavour sails into Gladstone Marina

A young Australian crew sailed the tall ship in this morning.

Here's how you can meet Johnathan Thurston at GECC

Here's how you can meet Johnathan Thurston at GECC

JT spoke to The Observer ahead of his upcoming tour.

Local Partners