Benjamin Lord - accused of stabbing a man at McDonalds while he held a baby - enters court before his sentencing.
Benjamin Lord - accused of stabbing a man at McDonalds while he held a baby - enters court before his sentencing. Sarah Barnham

Baby girl caught in crossfire of brutal McDonald's stabbing

A 21-YEAR-old Coast man has walked free from court after stabbing a man five times in the back who was holding a baby at the time.

Benjamin Robert Lord pleaded guilty to one count of wounding and one count of wilful damage in the Maroochydore District Court on Thursday.

On April 10, 2017 Lord held an unknown object behind his back as he approached another man holding an infant girl in his arms at the Minyama McDonald's carpark.


Crown prosecutor Aleksandra Nikolic said the 27-year-old victim was about the put the three-month-old child in a car seat when Lord approached.

Ms Nikolic said the pair were known to each other and 18 months earlier had been in an argument over a cannabis transaction that went bad.

The victim saw Lord was holding something behind his back and said: "Do you think this is a good idea, I have a baby?".

He turned to put the baby in the car but Lord used the object to 'stab' the man five times from behind, according to Ms Nikolic.

With blood running down his back the victim grabbed the child and ran inside McDonald's. Lord used a nearby cement brick to smash the windscreen of the car before running away.

The victim had five puncture wounds and told paramedics he could feel "something going inside him". Despite one of the cuts needing stitches, police never determined what Lord used in the attack.

Three days later Lord was arrested and spent 246 days in custody before being released on bail in December.

Defence barrister Simon Lewis said Lord had a troubled upbringing after the death of his mother nearly six years ago.

Lord dropped out of school in Year 9 to care for his mother who was suffering from terminal lung cancer. Mr Lewis said Lord had to help his mother do most things, including showering and taking her medication.

When his mother passed away, Lord started taking her oxycodone tablets.

Judge Long took into the account the eight months Lord had already served behind bars and sentenced him to two years and three months imprisonment.

However, Lord was released immediately on parole.

Lord had nothing to say to media as he left the court house.

THE DEBATE: So who won it?

Premium Content THE DEBATE: So who won it?

The Observer Editor Darryn Nufer delivers his verdict.

Retail worker showed police to his homemade bong

Premium Content Retail worker showed police to his homemade bong

Harrison Andrew Michael Bulow appeared in court this week.