Asthma sufferers advised to stay in as smoke covers city
A GLADSTONE pharmacist has advised asthma sufferers to stay indoors today if they are having trouble breathing.
The thick density of this morning's smoke haze, which was caused by the Beecher vegetation fire, may trigger allergies in some people.
"The dust particles find their way into your lungs and cause irritation through the build-up of mucus," Chemist Warehouse Pharmacist Anthony Cheng said.
"We do have masks that we can provide to customers, but that might be a bit extreme."
Mr Cheng said asthma and allergy sufferers should consult their doctor or take anti-histamine treatments to prevent symptoms from developing.
Residents have reported thick smoke in South Gladstone and other parts of the city.