Thousands turnout for Jono tribute
THOUSANDS of spectators didn't mind returning to Rockhampton Showgrounds on Sunday to pay tribute to Gladstone great Jono Porter.
There was initial disappointment from some fans when his memorial stadium motorcross had to be postponed around 7pm Saturday night, after a thunderstorm made conditions unsafe for riders to continue.
However event co-organiser and partner to Jono's father Doug, Ms Karen Saul said yesterday dampened spirits were lifted somewhat when the event re-commenced the following morning.
"It was an emotional time for us and disappointing that we had to stop, but Sunday was a good day of racing,'' Ms Saul said.
"The thunderstorm was unexpected. "Stewards and officials inspected the the track and said it was not safe.
"The freestyle riders would not have been able to go back out at all (some of the freestyle category was run prior to the postponing). "We did not want any riders to get hurt. Ms Saul said attendees were provided with details to lodge written claims if they felt they might be entitled to a refund.
"We'll deal with it on a case by case basis. It's really difficult because there were some people who had just walked in and others who had been there for hours.
Ms Saul said police did attend on Saturday night, but that there were no major incidents.
"Some people got abusive but others were good about it. "The riders were happy to come back the next day and there was a good crowd.