Terror gets personal
By SAM BENGERsamb@gladstoneobserver.com.au
BEVAN Rose felt sick to the stomach when he saw footage of the bomb blasts which occurred in London overnight Thursday (AEST).
Apart from the horror of seeing people battered, bruised and covered in blood, Mr Rose's first thought was for his 18-year-old son Michael, who arrived in London last week as part of a hotel management degree.
"It puts a sick feeling in your stomach, we couldn't reach him on the mobile and it took us about one-and-a-half hours to reach him on the landline, but luckily he was safe at work and not near the city,'' Mr Rose said.
He said the blasts made people realise how lucky they were.
"You worry about them when they're over there and hope they're OK, but the fact is it could happen anywhere at any time,'' he said.
Mr Rose said Michael worked at the Wentworth Club, near Heathrow airport, but often travelled into the city on his days off.
"He had Monday and Tuesday off so we were relieved he was at work on Thursday,'' he said.
Daughter, Aimee, who only returned from London one month ago, said she had worked at Russell Square, where one of the bombs went off.
"It was pretty scary because I used to walk past there (Russell Square) every single day,'' she said.
"I was a bit panicky when I first heard the news ? I've got loads of friends over there and it took a long time to get a phoneline and get a hold of them, but everyone's fine.