Stingers put two in Gladstone Hospital
By GLEN PORTEOUSglenp@gladstoneobserver.dyndns.org
TWO people have been admitted to Gladstone Hospital recently suffering from jellyfish stings.
One was from Agnes Water and the other from Barney Point Beach.
Medical superintendent Dr Ian Mottarelly said two patients had been treated for painful stings.
'The stings were very painful and we had them admitted to help control the pain,' Mr Mottarelly said.
The person at Agnes Water is suspected of being stung by an irukandji.
'Irukandji are small and don't leave any tentacles behind when they sting, also we have no positive identification as the tentacles have gone,' said Mr Mottarelly.
The second sting occurred at Barney Point Beach.
Mr Mottarelly said there had been about four other people come through, but they didn't require hospitalisation.
After the Barney Point stinging, the council quickly installed 'Stinger net not in use' signs on the main signage in the middle of the beach area. Even with the signs up, people still swam inside the enclosure or fished next to it.
Local resident at Barney Point, Glen McLeod said he went into the water about three times a week to have a swim or throw the castnet around.
'I was stung here last year by a blue bottle and it came up in a welt at the back of my leg,' Mr McLeod said.
Mr McLeod said they usually came in during the storm season. He said he might see about a dozen jellyfish a year.