Port access road lightens the load



THERE should be no reason for heavy vehicles being on Flinders Parade to access the port by the end of the year. That was the word out of the official opening of the Port Access Road yesterday.

With politicians from all levels of government on hand to help with the official duties, Deputy Prime Minister John Anderson had the honour of cutting the ribbon on the $15 million project.

Mr Anderson said 500 vehicles per day had already been removed from the central business district since the road's operational opening earlier this month.

He said most vehicles would be taken off Flinders Parade from April 8 when new port security measures were put in place.

'This will open up both roads to freight-efficient B-double vehicles and eliminate a key missing link in Gladstone's arterial road network,' Mr Anderson said.

During his visit to Gladstone Mr Anderson also visited the Central Queensland Ports Authority facilities and the Comalco Alumina Refinery.



UPDATE: Teen escapes injury after rolling ute on Blain Drive

UPDATE: Teen escapes injury after rolling ute on Blain Drive

A teenager has been assessed by paramedics.

CQ police sergeant stood down over dishonesty allegations

CQ police sergeant stood down over dishonesty allegations

The officer is the subject of an ongoing investigation.

Brisbane Broncos galloping into town

Brisbane Broncos galloping into town

Alfie, Corey and Korbin are coming to town.

Local Partners