Man denied bail on rape charges
A 20-year-old man was denied bail in Gladstone Magistrates Court yesterday, after being charged with the rape of a 15-year-old girl in the Gladstone CBD last month.
Defence lawyer Peter Vale argued the man, who cannot be named, was not a threat to the community and was known to the girl before the incident occurred.
'He had a conversation with the complainant and interaction with her on the night of the incident, prior to the alleged rape, so it cannot be regarded as a callous and random attack,' Mr Vale said.
He said the allegation of violence and the question of rape were being contested, because the man was claiming it was consensual intercourse.
But police prosecutor Senior Constable Jane Doran said the nature and seriousness of the offences required that the man be denied bail.
'Quite simply the fact there are five charges, three of which are rape and concern a 15-year-old child being vaginally, anally and orally raped and violence has been involved, is enough to suggest the defendant is a threat,' Snr Const Doran said.
She said there was also substantial DNA and medical evidence to support the claims.
She added the version of events from the complainant had remained the same from the time of the incident to the current day, whereas the defendant had changed his story each time he was questioned by the police.
She said the defendant's current residential status was also of concern, and requested that bail be denied.
Magistrate Brian Kucks said due to the nature and seriousness of the offences he found it an 'unacceptable risk that the defendant would fail to appear if bail was granted' and therefore denied bail.
The man will face Gladstone Magistrates court on May 16 for committal mention.