Man abducted girl, 11, for sex at hotel

A 38-year-old-man who abducted and delivered an 11-year-old girl to a hotel, where another man intended to have sex with her, has been living and working in Gladstone for more than two years.

Brian Kenneth Jones was given a slap on the wrist in Gladstone District Court yesterday, with a six-month jail term suspended for three years.

Effectively he will not be jailed on the charge unless he is caught by police re-offending in the next three years.

Crown Prosecutor Frank Richards said Brian Kenneth Jones pleaded guilty to the offence in an about face on November 9 last year.

The chef, who now works in Gladstone, committed the crime in Mount Isa in 2000.

In 2003 he pleaded not guilty at a committal proceeding, but later changed the plea.

Crown Prosecutor Frank Richards said Jones had been lodging with the girl's parents at the time of the abduction.

Mr Richards said he took the child to a hotel, then left to pick up his (then) 18-year-old accomplice Daniel Hines.

'At one stage he (Jones) asked her to get into a double bed with him, but she refused.

'He admitted he took the child as a result of an arrangement with Mr Hines.'

Hines later admitted his plan was to have sex with the girl, however no physical or sexual contact could be proven.

On February 26, 2001 Hines was given 12 months probation for his actions.

Defence barrister Jack Farr ell said his client used to work and socialise with Hines in Mount Isa.

'Jones found out Hines had a crush on the child, and he was told they used to text each other,'' Mr Farrell said.

'They arranged for an evening together and she approached Jones for a lift and he said he would.'

Mr Farrell claimed the trio ate and drank at a restaurant, at which time phone calls from the distraught girl's mother began.

Jones denied knowing the girl's whereabouts, and continued to do so during several other phone calls at the hotel room. Eventually Jones was convinced by a counsellor to drop the girl at an amusement parlour.

'He dropped her off and checked into a hotel because he could see the writing on the wall,' Mr Farrell said.

Jones was later apprehended and charged.

'Mr Jones has just purchased a house and has lived in Gladstone for just over two years. He loves his job and intends to keep doing it,' Mr Farrell added.

The offence carries a maximum jail term of seven years.

Midwife testifies at inquest into Gladstone baby's death

Midwife testifies at inquest into Gladstone baby's death

'I slipped, fell to my knees and the baby had come out of my hands'.

Company buys $1.5m of property for Agnes projects

Company buys $1.5m of property for Agnes projects

Stockwell has launched two new residential projects.

GEA forced to wait on $300k project decision

GEA forced to wait on $300k project decision

Funding request for Interactive Visual Walkway put on hold.

Local Partners