Fuel trucks still use Flinders Parade
By REN LANZONnewsroom@gladstoneobserver.com.au
TWENTY-FIVE fuel trucks trundled by Jim and Mavis Purcell's home on Flinders Parade on Friday afternoon.
Needless to say they were not impressed. The truck count was conducted between 2.30pm and about 8pm on the day the Flinders Parade access to Auckland Point Wharf was closed to all other trucks.
Nor were they impressed by Central Queensland Ports Authority acting chairman Peter Corones' assurances last week that because of new security measures "most'' heavy trucks would no longer use Flinders Parade.
"But half the heavy traffic is made up of fuel trucks,'' Mr Purcell said yesterday.
The closing of Flinders Parade to other heavy vehicle traffic has coincided with the recent opening of the Port Access Road.
Mr Purcell said it was good that other heavy vehicles were not using Flinders Parade, making the street a bit quieter.
He said much of the other traffic was trucks delivering woodchip and magnesium, and these were a nuisance.
"But the fuel trucks are the most dangerous and there are times when the exhaust from them is really bad.''
Mr Corones said the CQPA was working through issues with Queensland Rail so that fuel trucks could be removed from Flinders Parade, but it was not known when this would occur.
"They should have thought about the fuel trucks when they first started talking about the Port Access Road,'' Mr Purcell said.
He said the trucks appeared to come in "dribs and drabs.
"You could get a lot coming by together, and then there would be times when there are very few going through at all.''
Bob Inwood of Capricorn Colour Centre on the corner of Lord Street and Hanson Road was pleased some of the traffic had been removed from the Flinders Parade route.
"But we sometimes have had three fuel trucks pull up at the lights outside the shop, and that's not going to change,'' he said.
"I can't see why they can't also be made to use the Port Access Road.