Drive-in history in final screeningthe last screening
By REN LANZONnewsroom@gladstoneobserver.com.au
THE date of the final closing of The Glen Drive-In remained unclear yesterday despite the announcement a week ago that it was to close yesterday.
Earlier in the week former drive-in site owner Keith Upton would not confirm or deny whether he would bring down the final curtain on the drive-in which has operated for 40 years. During the April 23-24 weekend's screening, the announcer stated that yesterday's screening would be the last movies at the facility.
When The Observer went to press yesterday, the showing of Bride and Prejudice and Miss Congeniality 2 were on the bill for last night's screening.
There was no indication whether a further announcement was to be made on the day.
Mr Upton was not available for comment yesterday.
Dwelling houses are expected to rise on the drive-in site after Gladstone City Council approved an application for 47 urban allotments in January.
Council received some objec-tions to the proposal, most to do with the expected traffic increase along Boles Street should the proposal go ahead.
In April the director of Foreman Projects, Andrew Foreman, said he expected to finalise proceedings in five weeks and that he was keen to get started on the project.
At that time he said he had no information as to the date that the final screening would occur.