Dog poisoning sparks fears for child
IF HAVING his dog fatally poisoned wasn't bad enough, Wayne Hoffman now holds concerns for the safety of his two-year-old daughter.
The Carol Street resident's eight-year-old border collie/cattle dog cross, Jessie, was poisoned on the weekend and destroyed late Sunday.
'We got home from Brisbane yesterday (Sunday) and I went to call her and she came over hobbling and had a blue tongue,' Mr Hoffman said.
'We took her to the vet who said there was no doubt she'd been poisoned.'
He said it appeared as though 1080 dingo bait had been used. Mr Hoffman said while it was distressing enough to have their dog killed, his greatest fear was the safety of his daughter, Taylah.
'I don't know if we'll get another dog now,' he said.
'The chance that someone might do it again and my daughter might pick up the bait and put it in her mouth is a worry.'
He said people who baited dogs had obviously not considered the consequences of their action.
'As much as the loss of Jessie is painful, the look of sheer bewilderment in our daughter's eyes as we try to explain to her why her faithful pal, Jessie, doesn't come when she calls is gut-wrenching.'
Mr Hoffman said the motivation for killing Jessie was a mystery as she was a dog that did not bark excessively.He said nobody had approached him to complain about the dog.