Dreamworld slammed for documents delay
DREAMWORLD'S lawyers have been slammed for the delay in providing more than 1000 documents to the coronial inquiry into the deaths of four people on the Thunder River Rapids Ride on October 25, 2016.
The delay means some witnesses may have to be recalled to give further evidence to the inquest.
The theme park's lawyers provided the documents to the inquiry on Monday and after a delay in processing lawyers were given them to go through yesterday.
Counsel assisting the coroner Ken Fleming said a notice to provide the documents was given on October 31, 2016.
"We are almost at the second birthday of this request and we are still asking for documents," Mr Fleming said.
"This is for a very large organisation who were responsible for the ride where four people have died, the worst tragedy of this type in the history of theme parks.
"Two years later, we are still asking them, despite the size of the corporation and despite the size of the lawyers acting for them we still haven't got the documents we require."
The inquest is examining what happened just before 2pm on October 25, 2016 after a pump stopped working on the Thunder River Rapids Ride, causing water levels to drop and a raft to become stuck on the conveyor belt.
That raft was hit by another carrying Luke Dorsett, his sister Kate Goodchild, her daughter Ebony, 12, Roozbeh Araghi, Cindy Low and her son, Kieran, 10.
The four adults were killed. The children escaped uninjured.
Barrister Matthew Hickey, acting for Cindy Low's family, said almost all of the documents had metadata saying they were accessed in April last year.
"I have read them and it only took a number of hours to tell me that they were plainly relevant to what they are here to do," Mr Hickey said.
"These issues touch upon the natural justice not only to the families but everyone here."
Mr Hickey said some of the documents related to risk assessments of the Thunder River Rapids Ride conducted by senior ride operator Peter Nemeth.
Mr Nemeth was on the controls at the time of the disaster and was one of the first witnesses to be called in June.
Mr Hickey said there were also documents which related to every single one of the witnesses who had been called this week including changes in emergency procedures and a request to have the control panel changed so the ride was stopped by pressing just one button instead of four.
Barrister Bruce Hodgkinson, acting for Dreamworld, said the witnesses had already been cross-examined in relation to the issues raised in the documents.
Coroner James McDougall said the inquest needed to continue so it was not delayed.
"I am reluctant to delay proceedings about these matters that I can do little about apart form reflect these in my findings," he said.
The inquest has continued and attractions supervisor Jennie Knight is giving evidence.