Aircon belt breaks, smoke fills hospital, patients evacuated

NINE patients were evacuated from the Gladstone Mater Hospital early this morning after a shredded air conditioning belt sent smoke through the general ward area.

The patients were moved to Gladstone Hospital where they remained until about 6am.

Mater Hospital manager Deb Wright praised the efficiency of the hospital staff, and emergency services.

"The fire brigade arrived, along with ambulance and police, and the transfer was seamless," she said.



Calliope man Ben Wriede wins Botanic to Bridge by 18 seconds

Calliope man Ben Wriede wins Botanic to Bridge by 18 seconds

Open Male and Female 8km winners cross the line with time to spare.

PAY FREEZE: Council's second offer after workers reject plan

PAY FREEZE: Council's second offer after workers reject plan

Council has been challenged to address years of wage freezes

Local Partners