Accused cop basher claims he was victim of police assault
ACCUSED cop basher Brian Anthony Wust claims he is the victim of a police assault and plans to fight charges of seriously assaulting and obstructing an officer.
Wust, 37, was granted bail after appearing in custody in Toowoomba Magistrates Court today.
He was arrested on Saturday night and charged after allegedly punching a police officer who was investigating a traffic crash on Parsons St.
Defence solicitor Divina DeLeon said her client planned to plead not guilty to his charges and insisted he had been the victim of a police assault.
"At the time of committing the offence, my client was under the influence of alcohol," Ms DeLeon said.
In applying for his bail, Ms DeLeon said Wust got married six months ago and lived with his wife and four-month-old daughter in Wilsonton Heights.
She said he was injured during Saturday night's incident and would require medical attention on his release from custody.
It was also noted that while Wust had three pages of criminal history, none of it related to assaulting police and he had not breached previous bail conditions.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Tony Costa also referred to Wust's history, saying alcohol consumption was a catalyst for his offending.
Magistrate Damian Carroll granted bail on the condition Wust not consume alcohol and not enter any licensed premises.
"...of course alcohol-fuelled violence in the public domain is very much in the media and public consciousness," Mr Carroll said.
He also made a requirement that Wust reside at his home when not working away as a mechanical fitter in the resource industry.
His matters were adjourned for mention in the same court on March 17.