Man pleads not guilty to dangerous driving charge
A 26-YEAR-OLD man has pleaded not guilty to driving dangerously while intoxicated and causing grievous bodily harm.
In the District Court in Mackay yesterday, Crown prosecutor Nathan Crane said that on the night of July 10, 2013, emergency services arrived at a two-car crash on the Bruce Highway near Coningsby involving a utility and small car driven by a woman.
In opening the trial, Mr Crane said Marian man David Ronald Mackenzie had been drinking at The Leap Hotel just prior to driving his ute into the path of the woman's car.
Defence lawyer Andrew Boe made a formal admission that, at 12.10am on July 11, Mackenzie's blood alcohol reading was 0.157%, three times the limit.
He also made admissions that when the woman was tested at 2.57am, there was no alcohol in her system and that the injuries she'd sustained as a result of the crash would have been permanent had she not received medical treatment.
The 26-year-old woman was first to testify on the first day of the trial.
She said prior to the crash she'd been driving home to her parent's farm near The Leap after a dinner in Mackay with friends.